Tuesday 28 February 2012

The Oscar's

My Fav Oscar dress had to be this - If you know me, I like fusion type dresses and although I know that is not really what it is - in my eyes it very much is!!

The work on it looks a bit like dabka - can anyone confirm what type of embroidery it actually is?

I can easily see many an inspired desi outfit coming from this as its a look that can easily be replicated and a silhouette currently in vogue in Pakistan- I'm not saying it can be easily copied to the same standard but just generally a look that can be translated quite closely with a good karigaar.





This post will be incomplete without a special mention of Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy- the lady who won an Oscar for Pakistan - a very well done to her especially as her film highlights the very awful issue of acid attacks in Pakistan - This is a very tragic and scary issue faced by many countries and hopefully her Oscar and film can help get some form of justice and help for victims and stop the disgusting individuals who think its okay to scar a woman's face at their fancy.

On to the lighter issue of her outfit!

Her outfit for the awards function was by celebrated bridal designer Bunto Kazmi. With the occasion and audience in mind the colours, cut and work etc were all lovely and an outfit which she wore well,  I am undecided about the sleeves but think she looked pretty and elegant regardless and showcased Asian fashion well.




I preferred the after party Sana Safinaz outfit that she wore although I am not a fan of grey - especially on its own - but this is a beautiful cut and I imagine with the gold kaam a lot more striking in real life.




Here's a special toast to Sharmeen!


1 comment:

  1. I was pretty underwhelmed by the outfits at the oscars this yea but Im with you...that black and gold dress is the first one that stood out for me. I love Sharmeen second outfit! Gorgeous and elegant x

    ReplyDelete